This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Dec 16, 2008

Winter help for hummingbirds

Note: Make sure you put your cursor over some of the pics for a better look- they zoom!


Hi all,

I've done a few posts recently about Peetree, my new pet hummingbird. We debated whether or not to feed Peetree in the winter or not. I did a little reading online, and also asked a local expert about it...

Everyone said the same thing- they are here year round, so feed them and give them a better chance of survival. We agreed. Portland has been experiencing a weird year, so I kind-of expected a weird winter, as well.

We wanted to help Peetree get through the winter, so we put up a light to keep his food from freezing- with the snow we've had recently (Yes! I said snow.), we're not too sure this will work. I did get the idea from a guy in Bend, OR where it gets a lot colder- we'll just have to see how it goes.

Take a look at what we've done.


Peetree sat under that light to eat as soon as we put it up.

Note: To see more bird pictures, click on the label 'birds'- there is a slide show there!

I'm really surprised at just how cold it is getting- and I love the snow, of course, I'm just a little worried that Peetree won't make it. The winds have been so cold!
This was early in the morning- it got much worse. The bench looks so pretty!





This was taken in the evening- there was about 4 inches on the cold frame!



Camelia- early morning. It was so pretty with the snow in the middle of the leaf and the green edges still visible.


Peetree seems to be doing well- chasing all the other hummingbirds off as usual! I wish he would learn to share! I'll be sure to keep you posted on how he's doing.








Happy Gardening!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here