This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Jan 19, 2009

One of these things is not like the others...



Last fall I was ready to try my hand at having some early color in my little greenhouse. I looked through a couple books and decided that since it is not heated, except when we have really cold weather, I’d better stick to some safe ones listed in Shane Smith’s book Greenhouse Gardener’s Companion (click on the book link to preview this book, at page end, without leaving this blog:). I chose only a couple, and also wanted to have some pansies earlier than usual- which I knew would be a good choice since the ones I put out in my beds and some in pots, seem to make it through anything :)

I chose Ageratum and Snapdragon, going with a dwarf Snapdragon, and started them on September 25th. I made sure to put them in different colored pots, with a label, and all seemed to be going well, after potting them up from the soil blocks into 2” pots.
Here is a shot of a Snapdragon on Dec. 26th.


And here they are on the 14th of January. Yeah, overwatered...again!




Snapdragon (left) not a snapdragon (right)

One of these things doesn’t belong...can anyone tell me what the heck the one in the lower right is? It definitely doesn’t look like the Ageratum I started at the same time. The undersides of the leaves are a bronze color, if that helps. Any help would be appreciated :)

And I’m not sure, but shouldn’t I pinch the snapdragon out to get them bushier? When should you start pinching? Can you tell I’ve never grown Snapdragon? Can you believe I’ve never grown Snapdragon?...Who in the world hasn’t ever grown snapdragon! Funny, if you say Snapdragon too many times, the word starts to sound weird...
And the learning continues...



Happy Gardening!

Photobucket

9 comments:

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    I don't know about when to pinch the snapdragons, but I do think it's great you already have them going. Thanks for the greenhouse post!

  • GardenJoy4Me

    Tessa .. I am totally impressed you have a green house let alone you have GREEN growing things in it girl !! LOL
    Pinching .. sounds brutal doesn't it ? .. to a young plant that is .. something like piercing a baby's ears for earrings .. that never fails to amaze me .. why do "mothers" do that to their little ones .. I had to be 17 and go to my doctor to get it done .. jeez
    Ok .. back to the pinching snapdragon thing .. "use the Force Luke" >> meaning use your instincts girl : )
    Now haven't I been helpful ??

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Thanks Catherine, let me know if I can be of any more help about greenhouses. I'll warn you though, I just know what I know and it isn't much :). I hope you found the main post about the greenhouse.

    Joy, I went ahead and pinched it today. I also thought it needed to go up a pot size- we'll see what happens! I left the others alone ;)

  • Jan (Thanks For 2 Day)

    Hi Tessa, I have never grown snapdragons. Now are you going to make fun of me? Hmm. Of course I would have some good advice for you if I HAD grown them before, but I haven't so I don't:))

    Good for you, trying out these things. With your greenhouse you can try lots of things. Can't wait to see what pops up!

    PS I haven't done the 'tag' post yet. I'm not sure I'm going to; I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that kind of thing. It still remains to be seen though, so I haven't totally ruled it out.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hi Jan,

    Yeah, that't what I said when a friend said that to me! I guess I wasn't aware that snapdragons were so popular ;). It's all so fun to experiment with new things- we'll see if I can manage to get them all through the rest of the winter- it has been so weird this year! Thanks so much for stopping by- and don't worry about the 'tag' thing, from what I understand there are a lot of bloggers that don't really care for them :)

  • Northern Shade

    You can pinch them out now, and you'll be on your way to nice bushy plants.
    I'm not sure what the odd plant out is, but we've all been there, nurturing along a plant, not quite sure what it is, hoping for something good. I've accidentally nurtured the odd weed a few times.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Northern Shade,

    I looked for that book you recommended about Campanula at my library, all they had was another book by that author- I'll have to check my other library. Yes, I just went out today and pinched a few of them- I just can't wait for the blooms! I'm fairly new to growing in a greenhouse, so I need all the help I can get :)
    I gues I'll just have to wait and see what the mystery plant is- one of many I'm sure.

  • Kathleen

    Your seedlings are doing great! I'm so jealous! I don't know what your mystery plant is either. Sorry! I was also going to say pinch the snapdragons, but I see I'm too late! I love snapdragons. They're beautiful annuals, you won't regret trying them. Keep us posted on how they're growing!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Thanks Kathleen,

    Well, I don't know about 'great' but they're alive! I was noticing today that there are a couple that look bluish on the leaves- lacking something maybe? I started fertilizing a bit ago, light applications- we'll see what happens.

    Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here