Friday, while getting caught up on some reading, I stumbled onto a post by Northwest Nature Nut. She had managed to get out that day and get a little bed cleanup tackled! We’ve had such great weather lately- sunny even...I know, can you believe it! I have been putting off doing this. All week. And it’s been sunny. And I’m lazy. You know what they say about excuses!
Saturday, because I knew the rain was a come ‘n and possibly snow, I thought I’d better get my butt out there and get some work done myself- Thanks for the much needed push, Northwest Nature Nut!
Now, for anyone that knows me well this will be of no surprise.
1. I always start out good in the beginning of the season, but...
2. I hate cleaning out my beds- I’d rather pick up dog poo :).
3. I’m usually too busy sowing seeds...that later on will have no clean beds to go into.
So, for me to get this done- and it all to end up in either the compost heap, and/or the yard debris can is nothing short of a miracle. I told myself ‘It’s not so bad, at least you’re working in the poo-free zone’ Oh, wait, I forgot the incident with what the neighbor’s cat left behind a few posts ago! A careful hand (preferably gloved...this time) and watchful eye would be needed.
I started out good. Here is the bed I wanted to tackle. I am hoping to add some pretty bark around it this year, instead of straw- sigh! As time and $ allow :)
I call this bed the bird area. What a mess! I did do some (I said some!) clean up last fall, because of the monster Poke Weed I’ve been dealing with from my neighbor’s yard! Still, I was ready to tackle it. Then I got bored.
It all started with cutting and pruning out the dead, and very pretty, Russian sage twigs. I thought they would make a beautiful bouquet- and I’ve been going through severe spring withdrawals, so I thought I’d get creative and make a winter bouquet :). Well, it started getting way to big for the house, when gathering one thing and another, and another. The many tidbits all added up to this- you can barely see the rusted container it’s in, which I think is an old milk container my mom gave me.
I should have tried to get a shot of just the white twigs, so you could see how beautiful Russian Sage is at this stage- after all it is what inspired the whole thing. I wanted to get the whole thing in, however, and it just got taller and taller! It smells nice too. Hopefully you can see it.
Along with it I included a few other things. The dead sunflower heads, long since picked clean by the finches, added the bulk I needed- it does need more though. The branches torn off our neighbor’s tree from the awful wind we’d been experiencing, complete with a few cones, added the green. And finally the left over long, brown, grass-like stuff left over by the Daylilies was a perfect material to create a trailing effect, like maybe Lobelia would. I must say, it was really fun, and gave me more to appreciate about winter :).
So, did I get done with the clean up? Yep! I got a lot more done than I planned even. Maybe that is the key- looking for beauty in everything, and allowing yourself to be inspired by the seemingly uninspiring! This made a ho-hum job nothing short of exciting, at least for me anyway.
In the photo above, I included the cold frame and the small herb bed behind it (which still needs some work done.) You can see that the yard debris can is full! I didn’t finish the bird area bed because I ran out of room in the can :). Most of it is done though, and I’m left with a great sense of accomplishment...and a sore back.
Just as it was getting dark (that’s happening later I’ve noticed,) I felt some sprinkles! Talk about last minute ;). When I woke up Sunday morning, this is what the yard looked like!