This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Feb 18, 2009

They know me well!

 

I have been very busy since Valentine’s Day and then my birthday not far behind it. I just had to post about how blessed I feel that my hubby knows me so well and is so generous! I have to admit, I feel a little spoiled!

For Valentine’s Day, DH purchased a 5 shelf rack for my seeds. I really needed this because the greenhouse is really not big enough to spare any room for a germination area, and I was rapidly running out of room in there! Since then, I’ve been busily setting everything up to start more seeds.

I decided the only place I really have room for it is in my office. I’m not really worried about  the little bit of water or soil that could get messy in there because the whole room needs to be redone, including refinishing the hardwoods. As you can plainly see by the lovely colors on the wall and window frame! I put a little plastic down to make it easier to clean up, however.

 

 

The really great thing about this seed shelf is that it is deep enough that 2 lights can go into it! That means no leaning seedlings! I really have to come up with a better way to hang them, however. It’s not hard raising them, but it could be easier. Usually I move them out to the greenhouse fairly soon after they have germinated. I give them a few days under the lights, then they go to the next shelf with only one light , then it’s out to the greenhouse they go.

 

 

Here is some broccoli that I started on the 11th. As soon as I put them in their new home, they burst into green life! What a difference with two lights!

 

 

Eventually, maybe sometime this year, DH is going to build me a LED light that will span 2 flats. I have a lot of research to do yet before that can happen, as well as find a good source of the LEDs. With them becoming cheaper these days, it will be a matter of quality. By the way- did you know that these are ‘grown’- can we all say Terminator?

I think it will be warm enough in my office that I probably won’t need heat mats except for the real heat lovers, which is nice because they will go in the greenhouse and that will make the transition from house to greenhouse much better for the seedlings.

Today I put plastic on the top and back to keep the humidity in a little better; the shelves are not quite solid. As soon as I add the rest of the lights, I will put plastic on the sides, where I can (lights hang out), and the front with a slit running down the center for easy access. I may add a little fan too.

For my birthday, I received a great surprise. DH got my 4” and 6” pots that I needed this year, just in case the spring lasts forever, like it did last year, and I am forced to pot everything up to a little bigger pot. Last year was a disaster!I had very few pots of this size and had to hold things over a lot longer than I wanted to. Live and learn!

I also got some trays and humidity domes, 32-cell pack sheets,  some really great seeds, a much needed shade cloth, another heat mat (this was an extra surprise), gardening gloves, and my mom got me a really good book by Steve Solomon, the previous owner of Territorial Seed. I highly recommend his books, by the way!

 

 

I feel spoiled, but I also feel blessed that my husband and family really know me well. That is a gift in itself. Now I can sow a lot more of our food and flowers and have more than enough for family and friends! Usually we combine my birthday and Valentine’s Day since they are so close together- not this year! What a surprise!

Well, I’d better get moving- lots to do!

 



Happy Gardening!

Photobucket

10 comments:

  • joey

    Indeed, you're blessed! Happy Birthday wishes for a bountiful spring :)

  • Gardeness

    Lucky you to have such a thoughtful family! That was very sweet. I've decided I should get myself a grow light, too. And maybe some of those shelves...

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Joey- Thanks for popping in. I hope you have a blessed spring too!

    Gardeness- Yes, very thoughtful family indeed! I love the seed rack and it is on sale right now at Home Depot, so go pick one up!

  • Shannon

    Hello Tessa~ Love reading your blog. What a blessing to have your family know you so well. I hope you had a lovely birthday and enjoy all those fantastic gifts. I start all my seeds indoors too. Thanks so much for sharing!

  • Randy Emmitt

    Enjoying your writing! The growing shelves look like they will do a great job. Glad to see the broccoli sprouting up. We don't grow broccoli as it is just to hot here by May. I'll be back.

  • Daphne

    I can't wait for you to build your LED light. You will have to write all about it for us.

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    That is so nice! You will have lots of fun with your new gifts. Those shelves are great. A true gardener appreciates these kind of gifts. I'd rather have garden things than jewelry any day. What a nice family.

  • TC

    Hi Ms Tessa,

    I found you via your post at Shawna's and since I usually try to leave a few words at blogs that interest me, well, your's does. Especially since I see that you start seeds. Good luck!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Thanks everyone for reading my blog- and happy gardening!

    Shannon- I had a great birthday and have been busily putting the gifts to good use! I'm glad you enjoy reading my blog. Hope to see you soon.

    Randy- I don't consider myself a writer, so thanks for the compliment! I decided broccoli is one thing I should be growing, as it is a staple in our home- hopefully it will be a lot better than last time ;)

    Daphne- After looking at your onions, I'm anxious to get the LEDs started. Soon I hope. I'm be sure to keep you updated.

    Catherine- Yes, me too! Gardening stuff over jewelry any day!

    TC- Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you've found my blog interesting. Hope to see you soon.

  • Sue

    I'm a bit behind in blogging, and expect that's how it will continue to be, since I can't catch up even when spending a whole day blogging. LOL

    I enjoyed this post, and need to see if I can find room on a shelf for my grow light, which has been in the garage for the 10 years we've lived here. I have started a few seeds in the garden window, but it's awfully full right now, and chilly.

    I'm glad you had a great birthday and Valentine's Day.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here