This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Mar 25, 2009

How do they know?

 

It is truly amazing! I wish I had a bird cam so I could have caught the action as it was slowly happening! Wondering what I’m talking about?

Well, yesterday there was no rain. I planted all the strawberries that we purchased from Territorial Seeds on our way home from Medford. I had to work around some that were already there and I even had to separate a few babies from last years plants.

 

 

But that is not really what I’m so amazed about.

I was all finished up for the day and decided to pop a few sweet peas in the ground as well. I grabbed some more compost and bone meal, made the holes and popped them in and was finished in no time (I only planted 5 or 6 :).

Here is a really bad picture of one of them.

 

 

I’m sure by now you’re wondering if I’m ever going to get to the point- Alright then, are you sitting down? This is really, really big news!

An hour and a half or maybe two hours later, I went out to check on everything and close up the cold frame, and one of the sweet peas had wound around the wire fence- in that short amount of time! I’m sure this news won’t make the front page, and maybe people might think I’m a little nuts (I can hear you!), but I’m amazed at how fast it found the fence! How does it know which way to go? It didn’t just find it, but it wound around the fence 3 or 4 times!

I know, I’m easily entertained!

 

 

It is actually daytime in this shot- I messed with some settings to try to get a clearer picture. The other sweet peas didn’t have a chance to find the fence because I covered them with soda bottles, I just didn’t have enough bottles to cover them all. It was getting really windy as I was finishing up, and I wanted to protect the little ones for a few days.

Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed my insanity today...

 

Happy Gardening,

Tessa

17 comments:

  • Claudia

    I agree,I think it's quite wonderous. It's like a magic trick, and we don't want to know how it's done, it would spoil it for us.

  • Sheila

    Isn't it wonderful that our gardens never cease to amaze us?

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    I don't think you're nuts. Believe me I get excited over the same types of things. It looks like it grabbed on for dear life because of the wind we had yesterday!

  • Kim and Victoria

    I'm glad you got so excited, makes me feel not quite so weird!

    (I lived in Medford, Salem, and Eugene for years.)

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Claudia- I think you're right, if we knew it would spoil it!

    Sheila- Yep! I think if things like this didn't happen, I could get bored! Of course, some people don't even notice these things- you have to open your eyes :)

    Catherine- Good! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, it was pretty windy yesterday- maybe I should uncover the others so they too can find the fence, now that the wind has died down.

    Kim and Victoria- Nice to meet you, thanks for stopping by! I think most of us gardeners can be a little insane at times!

    Happy Gardening to you!

  • Hocking Hills Gardener

    I do not think your nuts. It is always amazing sometimes at the things nature does. Things like that make me wonder also. You wonder where they are hiding their eyes :)

  • Aerie-el

    You are too funny--not nuts at all. Or maybe as gardeners, we all have a little nuttiness in us?!
    That is exciting to see that kind of growth in that amount of time. Amazing.

  • Aunt Debbi/kurts mom

    I also think the ability of peas and beans to find their way up is amazing, but I may be nuts too.

  • Megan

    I was excited to see things twining after a week, but just one afternoon? That's incredible. I thought you were building up to bad news, like birds had eaten all your new plantings, I'm glad it had a happy ending!

  • Kathleen

    That would amaze me as well Tessa!

  • lynn'sgarden

    Tessa, aren't sweet peas the best? I bet if you sit there for 24 hrs. straight, they won't do their thing..lol...come see my hellebore in bloom!
    Lynn

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Lona- Yes! I was thinking that- where are they hiding their eyes. I was amazed, truly.

    Aerie-el- I think you may be right! No one is disagreeing, so maybe we are a little nuts- especially this time of year :)

    Aunt Debbi- Another vote for us gardeners being a little nuts, glad I'm not the only one. Nuttiness loves company :)

    Megan- Hope you've had the nice weather too! Oh, those birds are causing plenty of trouble, digging in my new tunnels whenever I have them open to vent!

    Kathleen- So glad you stopped by! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one- of course my non-gardening friends are probably saying 'I don't get it!'

    Lynn- I just was over there- beautiful! I hope when I get mine I can find ones that color! I love sweet peas, but mine always look leggy or get scraggly. This year I'm going to pinch them out a little! I just learned that you should do that- who knew?

  • Karen

    Sometimes I gasp out loud at something in the garden, so I don't think you're nuts. Vining plants are almost scary sometimes - did you read that horrible novel "The Ruins"? Not for the faint-hearted. Sweet peas are so much more peaceful, if vigorous. Exciting!

  • Sue

    I read about how vines twine a long time ago, and it was a scientific explanation, but can't remember now what it was.

    I'm excited with you how quickly the support was found by your pea.

  • Jan (Thanks For 2 Day)

    It's wonderful to find something new to be entertained by...and being in the garden, there is always something new! That is an interesting question and not silly at all! When you find the answer, write a post on it because I want to know, too! I can't believe how fast it happened, either!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Karen- Well, nothing could be as bad as Kudzu! I've heard that in the south they say you can hear them growing their foot a day! Never read that book- maybe I should wait until the peas are done before reading it!

    Sue- I'm going to have to look into that. If you remember, I'd love to hear all about it!

    Happy Gardening!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Jan- Yeah, I was truly amazed! Funny thing, I covered the others for just a day and a half to give them a little protection- when I looked today, they still hadn't found the fence...I hope I didn't confuse them :(

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here