This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Mar 9, 2009

If you want to make Old Man Winter laugh...



Just tell him your plans! Today I awoke to snow! We knew there was a possibility of snow, but I really didn’t think it was going to happen. It’s not sticking right now, so I’m hoping it won’t last! As I look out the window now at 9 am, it has stopped.

snow

I was planning on planting out the broccoli this week- we’ll see. I knew this early crop was a gamble, so if I lose it, I lose it. I guess I’d better get busy and sow some more :)

broccoliop2

Now that the snow has stopped, I may just go ahead and plant this broccoli and lettece in a 4x4 that has a tunnel over it. I’ll probably give them a milk jug hot cap at night- and hope for the best. In any case, it’s a good test :)
And lets not forget the beets!

beets

The winter is really hanging on here, that is for sure. With only 11 days left till spring, I’m getting a little anxious, to say the least.


Last Friday, I managed to get another tunnel almost completed. I ended up digging down a bit with this one because there were some old tree roots that needed to be removed. Luckily, they weren’t too hard to get out. Unfortunately, some of those roots may be running right under my first tunnel that I built, but there is not too much I can do about it. I don’t think my back can handle digging down anymore, so the bed will just have to be raised more, which is fine because it really needs it anyway. Most of these roots were in the area of the new tunnel/chenille, so I got to work removing them using a shovel and garden claw. The sun was out and it was so nice that I had to change into a tank top!
While I was at it, I sifted all the dug up soil and got rocks and sticks out. I used a small sifter to do this- what a pain! It was well worth it, however!


smallsoilsiftersiftedsoil




These pics were taken this morning. I’m really glad I covered this whole area with a tarp a week or so ago- otherwise it would be a muddy mess by now!
I added a little sand, greensand, rock phosphate, blood meal (I think is in my mix), and worm poo. We’ll just have to see how the crops in this bed do...if spring ever gets here. I still need to get some seed meal, either cottonseed or canola, and add to my mix so at transplant time the little starts will have what they need. A chenille needs to be made for this bed, which will have to wait...because as I’m writing this it’s snowing again :).


The tomato inside is doing well. So well, in fact, that I’m finding it hard to keep up with raising the lights! I won’t bother you with yet another bad indoor light picture ;)
The lantana I sowed a while back has not germinated. It does take from 40 to 62 days and I have a long way to go! It has been hard to keep the moisture just right. Being on a heat mat this long is proving to be a challenge in the watering department. I don’t want the top to crust over, but keeping it moist is growing anything but Lantana! The algae is there, as is the case with a lot of my seedlings! I just can’t seem to get the correct amount of water! Very frustrating!



lantana As you can see, it looks like I may have to bottom soak it. I’ve been spraying just the area where I know the seeds are, but It just isn’t keeping them moist enough. I haven’t soaked them since I first sowed them, and it’s only been the last few days that they seem to really dry out on top- so a thorough bottom watering will have to happen. I hope the seeds haven’t dried out! I can’t believe the algae is still growing!
Something did grow in one cell, however. I’m just not sure it is a Lantana seedling. If anyone knows what a Lantana seedling looks like that would be great. Even better, if anyone has a picture of a Lantana seedling, please contact me!

possiblelantanaseedling
This is the best shot I could get. You probably can’t see it in this picture, but the true leaf at the top is serrated. I hope someone can tell me if this is in fact a Lantana- if so, I’ll get it out of the flat because it’s growing with the dome on.
Yesterday, although it was cold enough to have a hat on and my fingers turned red, I noticed that the Clematis had growth on it higher up than I’d like. March is the time to prune it back to about 18”. So, I got my pruners out and sharpened them.




pruningclematis



prunedclematis






I bought some really nice plant ties last year and almost forgot I had them! They are really great, much better that the ugly, bright green tape I used last year!

plantties
planties

Here is the Clematis last year-




I have sown a few things this last week. Some yellow, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, and some flowers. To see a list of what I sow, make sure to check the drop boxes located in the sidebars, on post pages. Just click on any post title and you’ll see them.

So much to do! I hope spring brings some mild weather. I know everyone is as anxious for spring to get here as I am! Good thing I have some blogging buddies to share my anxiety with!


Happy Gardening!

Photobucket

P.S. Sorry the pictures ended up so screwy- not sure what happened :)

6 comments:

  • Daphne

    Your seedlings are looking very nice. Hopefully spring will be with us soon. I'm certainly hoping.

  • Cinj

    I am going to get my seeds started tomorrow I hope. It's warming up here with temps in the 40's. We have lots of snow cover still I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the snow to melt soon. We were supposed to get rain this weekend, but that didn't seem to happen.

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    Did you end up with more snow? We ended up getting a couple of inches today. I'm anxious for spring weather too.
    I'm going to look for the plant ties for my clematis. It looks better than what I use too. I love your clematis!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Daphne- Thanks, I just hope I can put them in the ground soon!

    Cinj- Good luck with your seed starting! I hope your weather warms up for you.

    Catherine- The sun did come out late afternoon, but the rain was off and on. The plant ties hide a lot better than what I was using, you'll like them.

    Thanks for stopping by everyone, and happy almost spring!

  • Aerie-el

    It looks like everything is 'at the ready' for spring to arrive in your greenhouse and garden beds. Now if it would just cooperate and do that! We had 2 inches of snow this morning, a break, and another 2 inches this afternoon. Crazy weather.
    Beautiful clematis!!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Aerie-el, More snow! Argh! I wish spring would get here!

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here