This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Mar 13, 2009

Oh! The day...it sings SPRING!

 

What a beautiful day here in Portland! I had been watching the weather for a few days now and I knew that today would be my shot at planting out some things!

broccoli&beets

The broccoli and beets are now planted! Yippee! I watered them in well, but some are leaning over a little even though I put a cover on them and a piece of screen to shade them for a few days. We’ll see if they end up not being very happy with me!

4x4#2.3-13

I also managed to get some lettuce in the ground. ‘Focea’ and ‘Breen’, the latter being a new variety this year. I threw in some beets between them- I think they’ll look beautiful together!

I found some beautiful, white crocus today- I hadn’t realized that I’d planted these! What a beautiful surprise :)

crocusfront3

And I’ll throw in this one for good measure!

crocussbed

 

I never realized how much joy such a little flower can bring. I plan to plant these everywhere this fall- including some in the grass!


Happy Gardening!

12 comments:

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    It was very spring like here too! Your beds look great and the soil looks so rich. I bet everything will just take off growing!

  • Daphne

    Don't you just love when you find plant you have forgotten you even bought? They are so much fun. Your broccoli plant in the foreground looks so wonderful. I can just imagine him saying, "Yes, I'm in the sun. What a wonderful life!"

  • Grace Peterson

    Hi Tessa~~ I call them "croakies." I guess they just bring out the kid in me. Maybe the weather people are wrong...

  • texasdaisey

    I think you have convinced me that I need to plant them every where too.
    Debbie

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Catherine- I'm so glad you had the nice weather today too! Looks like the temps are going to drop again :(

    Daphne- Thanks! I hope he is going to say that in the next few days! Doubtful!

    Grace- That's a great name for them! I hope the weather people are wrong!

    Debbie- As much fun as they have been this year for everyone, it seems, I'd say it's a good bandwagon to jump on!

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!

  • Neza

    Hi, I'm checking out your blog...Nice photos in this post- We're not that far along here in MN...Soon!
    Thanks for visiting my blog-
    The Rock and Roll Gardener

  • Hocking Hills Gardener

    Tessa, the crocus are so pretty! Your plants continue to look great.

  • Karen

    Hi Tessa - Not sure how I missed your blog before this - I seem to see your face everywhere (complete with bubblegum bubble) else I visit! Also a NW gardener, up in Seattle. I look forward to reading more of your un-blundering exploits! That cloche looks really nifty, I'm sure your veggies will appreciate it greatly.

  • GardenJoy4Me

    Tessa .. How true is that ? we all would rather shop at a nursery than any other store !!! LOL
    I just made the same brain burp about Autumn planting of bulbs .. I don't think I have much more than a few squill and daffs .. damn !!
    Load the torpedos for next year : ) hahaha

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Neza- Thanks! I'm sure being in MN, you're looking forward to spring!

    Hocking Hills- Thanks, I'm glad you like them! Happy almost spring to you :)

    Karen- Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, the bubble gum photo- the kids and I were having a contest who could blow the biggest bubble- I lost, of course, but gave it a good go :). I sure hope the veggies like the tunnels- we'll see!

    Joy- It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about- the nursery shopping, I mean. Those little 'You Know You're a Gardener When...' sayings change with every page load- I'd forgotten I'd put that in there! Yep! I have very few crocus patches- time to change that- I put a note in my calendar and my Garden Tracker software! Sticky notes don't cut it!

  • Kathleen

    It DOES look like spring at your house Tessa. The white crocus is beautiful ~ you don't see that many in that color. (at least I don't ~ I see mainly purple). and your veggies are looking fantastic. You'll be eating out of the garden soon girl!!

  • Joanne

    Such lovely photos.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here