This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Apr 27, 2009

Monday Seedling Update

 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Our CCOC Women’s Retreat was a lot of fun, but it’s nice to come home...especially to plants that are all alive! I’m sorry to report that my camera died at the retreat, so no picture! And the sun was out almost the entire weekend too- dang it! I’ll try to get some shots from some of the ladies that went.

I’ll start out with a shot of the greens I took to the retreat. I harvested a lot and really had to pack it in there to get it all! I was a little worried that it wouldn’t make it by the time we got there, or that it wouldn’t be enough- both worked out great!

 

 

The shot includes 4 kinds of lettuce, mizuna (Asian green), Bull’s Blood beet greets (dark burgundy), baby spinach, and radish. I threw in some pansy flowers for some great color- and they are edible, although I didn’t care for them :).

 

As I said, it was nice to come home to plants that were alive :). It’s funny how when you are away from your garden for a time that things really look big when you return! There is really only one plant that doesn’t look great- the eggplant. I think that is because I turned the plant out of its pot to check the roots because I was considering up-potting the day before I left. I decided not to and returned the plant to its pot. That and overwatering...of course!


I guess these don’t really qualify as seedlings now, huh? I think the basil does though...

 

When I got home I couldn’t believe how big they were! I think it’s a bit too cold to put these out, but it won’t be long!

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the greenhouse things are looking well. It has gone from sunny and hot, to cool and overcast but I decided to leave the shade cloth on. Hopefully the tomatoes will do alright! I started some more ‘Gold Nugget’ yellow cherry tomato a while back and decided to try the grow bags to see how they do. Tomorrow it will be time to hang this bag as it has been more than 10 days. It will be interesting to see how these do in the bags.

 


The Nicotiana is doing well, not all of them, but most. I think they will be hardened off this week.

 

And the watermelon seems to be doing alright even with the lower temps and the Dex pots!


The cosmos is looking nice as well- although I think they really needed to be in 3 inch pots instead of 4 inch.

Morning glory looks nice, and I think I just may have started it at the correct time- we’ll see :)

And the salvia are starting to bloom!

There is a lot more in the greenhouse, but lets move onto the garden. The Marigold seeds I planted in the cold frame germinated a while back. When they get a little bigger I’ll move some to the garden and others will go to friends.

I moved some Swiss Chard from the cold frame to my tunnel #1 just before I left last week- I can’t believe how much they grew. I really need to get some mulch put down around some of my remaining crops.

I sowed some Pak Choi a while ago and they seem to be doing wonderfully. I started them in the cold frame and they’ll stay there as they don’t appreciate their roots disturbed.

There is more, but after the weekend I’m spent! I’ll leave you with the harvest from this morning :) Yummy!

 

If you’d like to see a wonderful seedling update visit Daphne over at Daphne’s Dandelions- she has some wonderful things growing and some harvests to report!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

Happy Gardening and harvesting,

Tessa

19 comments:

  • Stephanie

    Hello Tessa, How are you? Today is so wonderful isn't it? Your plants grew! And those vegetables that you harvested this morning, they look so healthy and good. Made salad? Happy harvesting and gardening!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hey Steph, I'm good. I had a great weekend at the beach complete with sunshine! Yes, I can't believe how much everything grew while I was gone- plants are amazing! Yep, made a really nice salad, yummy!

  • Linda Lunda

    WOW! You have been working hard !
    Soo many different plants!
    Thanks for stopping by my blogg.
    Linda

  • GardenJoy4Me

    Tessa ! You have so much going on with the seedlings it is amazing girl ! .. I wish you were my neighbor .. I would be eating way healthier after seeing all those greens !! LOL
    Joy

  • lynn'sgarden

    Too bad about your camera, Tessa..but the retreat sounded fun. We are in a heatwave here in NJ but back to cool weather by Thurs. Your eggplant looks ok to ME...I grow the ichiban (slim japanese variety) and love them!

  • Outside In

    Wow, you sure have so many seedlings and all of them looks healthy. You probably don't have to buy veggies from the store during the summer time.
    It's great though to grow your own, if I only had a cold frame greenhouse I would do the same.
    Happy gardening!

  • Muddy Boot Dreams

    Hi Tessa, I just got back after being away for awhile also, and did my garden grow.

    Everything is looking really good in your greenhouse, and garden. It is sooooo wonderful to see anything green. Thank goodness spring is finally here.

    Jen

  • Daphne

    Your plants look great, but really it's the harvest that is making me drool. I picked some greens from the garden today. I can't wait to eat them for lunch.

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    I'm glad you had a good weekend. Your plants are looking great. I didn't know you were trying the hanging tomatoes. I can't wait to see how they do.

  • Darla

    Very impressive!

  • Tatyana

    Hi Tessa! I am glad you had a good mini-vacation (except for that camera!)! Everything looks so good on your pictures, everything survived! What do you do with extras from your garden? I am sure you have extras!

  • Kara

    Looks wonderful!! I love your eggplants- I'm looking forward to my own harvest soon!

  • Joanne

    Hi Everything is looking good. I'm sure the cosmos will soon fill the bigger pot.

  • Aerie-el

    Glad to hear you had a great weekend away.
    Everything looks so fantastic! Your production is incredible--how do you do it all?

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Thanks for stopping by everyone! Sorry, I haven't been around lately- have some other things going on :). Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed with everything going on.
    Tatyana, I take extras to neighbors and friends at church :)
    Joy- I wish lettuce shipped well, I'd send some your way

    I look forward to getting back in the swing of things and visiting you all.

    I hope all your gardens are getting some spring love! Happy gardening :)

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Aerie-el- so glad everything is okay! Glad your back :)

  • Seasonal Wisdom

    Tessa: Your seedlings are most impressive, and I'm jealous of all your gardening space. Looks like you'll be eating plenty of lovely lettuces this spring, not to mention all the other yummy veggies you've started. Teresa

  • Frances

    Hi Tessa, that is an amazing amount of greens you packed, and they look so healthy and yummy too! Your seedlings are fabulous, I can see that mine were started too early, got too big, got planted out too soon because they were too big, and then got frosted. Lesson learned. I agree about Daphne's updates too. I am learning from both of you!
    Frances

  • Mindy

    Your starts look awesome. I am not having very good luck. This Seattle-area weather is not helping! I wish I had a cold-frame. I love seeing how everything is coming along for you. I have cosmo, nics too. Germinated ok, but that next step is where I usually start having casualties. Thanks for keeping me motivated!

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here