This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

May 20, 2009

Garden Update

 

I actually had it in me to go look around in the garden today- as you all know, I’ve kind-of burned myself out lately. Slowly, I’m getting back into the swing of things, so I thought I’d post an update.

To start, we have some broccoli! I will soon be harvesting most of it as I will probably put the bush beans in this bed.

 

Broccoli- Green Calabreese

 

I must say that I’m not real happy about the size of the heads or the fact that the buds are not real compact. I’m guessing they were planted too close- 1/square foot or no- it’s too close, I think. I know it’s not for lack of water!

 

 

This one is much more compact. I think I’m going to harvest them all anyway- stir fry anyone?

The peas are doing great!

 

And with these flowers it will soon be time to take extra care to watch for garden pests, who shall remain nameless (Karin). It’s too bad peas don’t do well in summer- they taste so good in a salad! I think I’m going to try to start peas this summer anyway, however, because I’ve read you can eat the whole shoot...it’s supposed to taste just like a pea! What a different addition to the summer salad.

 

Yummy!

 

The lettuce ‘Red Sails’ and second round of broccoli is doing well.

 

 

It will be interesting to see how this broccoli will do having more room. Looks like it is time to thin out that lettuce a little too :). Time for a nice salad.

 

 

Yep! Time for salad. You can’t tell in this photo, but this lettuce is huge! It is one of two remaining early sown, spring lettuces in the cold frame and it really needs to be harvested! I think coupled with the lovely ‘Red Sails’ above, it would make for a spectacular salad...hmmm, maybe add some fresh broccoli too? Yum!

Here is something that I wasn’t sure if I should laugh, or feel sorry for the poor thing-

 

 

This picture is horrible, and I apologize. It is the sad zucchini I started too early in Dex pots a while back, with a flower on it. Seed packets...what do they know!  See, for those of you that seem to think I have a green thumb, I can honestly say it is just not so! Now nature on the other hand is much better at all of this, as you can see with the nice volunteer zucchini seedling next to the pathetic one!

On a cheerier note, the tomato bag is doing very well, surprisingly!  I must say it has been interesting to see this thing take off.

 

 

Elsewhere in the garden things are blooming! I’m not really fond of Iris, although I recently saw a gorgeous variegated variety on another blog (can’t remember which one :) that I just loved! I’m not sure of the variety growing in my yard as they were here when we bought the house.

 

 

Unfortunately, they were beaten down today with the rain we had. This bed has been an ongoing project for a few years now- we’re getting there!

I was really happy to see that the Peony ‘Sorbet’ has quite a few blooms on it this year. It has taken a couple years to get this many buds on it- I just can’t wait to see the blooms!

 

 

That’s all for now. Hope you all have been out there enjoying your gardens!

 

Happy gardening,

Tessa

12 comments:

  • Darla

    Every looks wonderful here!

  • Faith

    I'm trying Piracicaba this year for the first time. Actually I'm trying broccoli for the first time as well. LOL I'll be posting lots of pics to show how they do.

    Garden burnout hits me just about the time that I've been having to run non-stop at it for about 2 weeks. It hit me the end of last week. Gladly, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and the most time-crunching work is passed. Heading into more laid-back work now that I can schedule better.

    May you be able to just sit back and enjoy the beauty around you now. :)

    ~Faith

  • Kanak Hagjer

    Your garden looks great! I love your toamato bag! And the peas are so healthy. I love the leaves too, the tender ones , shoots,stalk and all. Tastes good--stir-fried.

  • Janet

    Your garden looks great! I can't wait to see what mine looks like. I've been on the road for work since last Thursday, and I won't be home till this Friday. I hope my peonies aren't all done blooming by then.

    Congrats on your great work!

  • Daphne

    I love that red lettuce. It is so pretty. But I'm envious of the pea blossoms. I've been checking my peas every day, but still nothing. I hope they start soon.

  • Kathleen

    My Mom is trying one of those tomato bags! Keep us posted how it's doing. And you'll never convince me you don't have a green thumb after all the plants I've seen you start and grow this spring!

  • Dirt Princess

    DELISH!!!!!!!!!

  • Outside In

    If you want larger broccoli florets feed them fish emulsions, also the better variety of broccoli is the pacmans. I had humungus ones last year. But your irises looks great!

  • Hocking Hills Gardener

    Tessa, your hanging tomato looks great. I am going to watch how yours gets along because I had been wondering how well they would do growing that way.My peony is just starting to unfurl.

  • Muddy Boot Dreams

    Everything is looking wonderful. My peas are only 2 inches high, but soon they will grow.

    Jen

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    It looks great. Your peas are really going! Ours are really behind. My zucchini looks just like yours, I can't figure out what's happened to it, maybe I started mine too soon also.
    I like your iris and your Sorbet will be gorgeous. I can't believe how many buds it has!
    Hope you are getting some sun now, luckily the rain seems to be finished here.

  • Stephanie

    Tessa, I just googled to check out Peony Sorbet as I do not know how the flowers look like. Oh, they are beautiful. Can't wait to see yours. Those broccolies look so good :-) Well done!

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here