Time for another seedling update! Not too much to report, but I did find a volunteer seedling that I’m very happy about!
This little volunteer Zucchini showed up a few days ago, and boy am I glad! My Dex pot Zucchini started looking really bad! Note to self: start them later next year, if you plan on using the Dex pots :). I planted a couple anyway- live or die, but this volunteer will make up for it, I’m hoping :). It is much healthier anyway.
As you can see my Zucchini is very sad! The volunteer is right next to it, so it will be interesting to see which one will do better- I’m sure it will be the volunteer! We’re in for more torrential downpours this week and who knows what next week, so I’ll be watching to see which one I need to cut out.
After all, you only really need one zucchini! Any more than that and I’d go nuts getting rid of them! I do plan to start another one (or a few) this new round will replace my current one when they start to get a little unruly! I’ve read that people do this because they get so big and take up so much room, so I’ve decided to give that a try. I’ll be sure to move it up a pot size when needed, until I’m ready to make the switch. It should be an interesting experiment.
The second round of broccoli is doing very well, even considering the horrible wind and downpour we had yesterday. I only planted 3 of them this time and gave the rest away to friends. Because they take 70 days to maturity, I’m not sure that the timing for these was great either, the first one was too early, and this one could be too late- as they are a cool season crop, I’m hoping our weather will be nice and mild :).
I am happy to report that the first round has some signs of real broccoli! Yippee! I lost maybe half the plants, but we’ll have some!
The eggplant baby was finally planted out yesterday (5/2). The soil was really warm when I uncovered the chenille and felt the weed mat! I was surprised because our temps have been a little lower than I’d like. Later the same day was when we had the wind and hard rain- I was glad I had that chenille up!
The green beans are up! Along with a ton of tiny weeds! I sifted some soil from another place in the garden and put it in with the soil I used to build up this bed- blah! I have awoken little, sleeping giants, dang it!
I hung my tomato bag, so it’s vertical now- it’s amazing how fast the little plants turn their tips up! I’d say an hour later and they were looking skyward :). This is the first time I’ve grown in these bags, so it should be interesting to see how they do. I still need to plant something in the top- hmmm, I must have something that would do well in a bag, I’ll have to give that some thought.
A few weeks back, I made some under sowings of Red Komatsuna between and under the remains of the Mizuna. It has grown nicely and was protected by the few Mizuna that needed to be harvested just before I left for our CCOC Women’s Retreat. Now the Mizuna has been harvested completely and I’m left with some great little Komatsuna seedlings. I probably will be sowing some more, here and there, to fill it in a little. I’m also thinking of mixing in some NZ Spinach.
The Nasturtium I planted here and there is up! The variety I chose this year is called ‘Night and Day’ I can’t wait to see them- I just love Nasturtium and this year I plan on trying them in my salads! I not 100% sure these are all the variety I planted this year, however, so I might be in for a good mix. I’ll have to look at my records to see what variety I planted last year.
Here we have our Lantana seedlings- aren’t they beautiful? Yes siree! They are gonna be the show of the garden this year- I can just see cars stopping by to ask what they are, and where they can get some!
Okay, I was patient! I read online that they can take from 40-62 days to germinate. I knew it would be a challenge...but couldn’t at least one germinate? I purchased the seeds from a good company. All that grew was moss. It was very hard to get the water just right- I only watered the flat once before I sowed, let it drain, and then one more time after that. I don’t know what happened, but I’m not going to give up...er...well at least with the next flat that I sow- I dumped this one!
I must end on a good and bountiful note...so here you go.
Yesterday’s harvest was wonderful! Yummy! The lettuce ‘Salad Bowl’ is just about finished up in the cold frame and chenille/tunnel #1. Lettuce ‘Focea’, ‘Red Star’ and the new variety I’m trying this year ‘Breen’, are all going strong. I’m really impressed with ‘Breen’ and may add it to my staples list. Spinach thinning is now complete and the beets greens are getting less red with the weather warming, but are just as good! The radishes are all finished up, and I may do one more sowing. Yummy! Time for a salad :).
Now if I can only get those tomatoes going!
Now don’t forget to head on over to Daphne’s Dandelions and check out her seedling update! I'm sure she has some harvests to report as well.