This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Jun 19, 2009

One tomato, two tomato, three tomato...

 

Four...uh, I mean six yummy tomatoes picked yesterday! These are the first of the season! The yellow ones, ‘Gold Nugget’, are very sweet. I expected the skin to be a little thick like the yellow pear I grew last year, but they’re not at all :). They are very sweet and juicy. I haven’t tried the red ‘Beef Steak’ yet- I hope it’s good. I want to give it a couple days on the counter to ripen more. It has been my experience with this variety in the past that the first ones aren’t that great. Of course that might be the care it is given causing that ;)

 

'Beef Steak' and 'Gold Nugget'

 

I hope the tomatoes are ripening on the plants given to friends and family- let me know if your tomatoes are coming along everyone :)

 

Happy gardening,

Tessa

11 comments:

  • inadvertent farmer

    Ughhh you are sooooo far ahead of me and I'm just 40 minutes north of you. My tomatoes are still just blossoms and itty bitty guys! I'm jealous...

    Enjoy your garden! Kim

  • Muddy Boot Dreams

    Yummm can't wait until ours are ready, probably months from now.

    Jen

  • Outside In

    Here in Illinois we've been having too much rain and not enough sun, bah humbug! I did plant a Lemon Boy Tomato this year, I never tried a less acidic tomato before. Your tomatoes looks great!

  • Rosey Pollen

    Well, I am salivating after seeing those tomatoes! I used to grow AWESOMe tomatoes in Nebraska, moved to Mtns in Co and now, well, let's just say I buy a majority of our tomatoes from the farmers market! I would buy yours. :)

  • Bren

    You started all your veggies from seeds this year right? I remember reading in the spring - how exciting! LOOK AT THOSE VEGGIES!
    Can't wait to return to see what you do with these goodies.
    Happy Gardening

  • gardenerprogress/Catherine

    I have flowers, that's about it. Those 'Gold Nuggets' will look pretty in a salad.

  • Aunt Debbi/kurts mom

    The Monkeys are eating up the tomatoes every day. Avvivi from Monica is a new favorite.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Kim- I think if that darn sun ever decides it's summer we'll all be much better off! I wouldn't have those tomatoes if they hadn't lived in the greenhouse for most of their lives first ;)

    Jen- I don't know about you, but I can always wait for a garden fresh tomato. I don't buy them anymore in the stores, I just (im)patiently wait for mine!

    Cathy- Thanks! We've had a lot of rain too. I was just out talking to Weather and explaining that today is the first day of summer, so get to it!

    Rosey- Wow! I would just die if I couldn't grow my own! I hope the farmer's markets grow good ones for you :)

    Bren- Yep, everything was started from seed this year, with the exception of a couple pepper plants. I just planted the peppers the other day...right before we were hit with a downpour, of course :)

    Catherine- It won't be long and you'll be tasting your yummy tomatoes too. I'm putting them in a Father's Day salad tomorrow. I think I may throw in some nasturtiums too!

    Thanks so much for stopping by everyone! Happy gardening :)

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Aunt Debbie- That's wonderful! I wish my kids liked tomatoes. Oh well, more for hubby and I ;). I'll have to give that variety a try.

  • Joanne

    Well they look lovely I am rather envious as ours are a way of just yet.

  • Hocking Hills Gardener

    Tessa, I love yellow tomatoes so I think I would really love those little yummy ones.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here