This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Aug 4, 2009

Vandals!

 

Okay, the first time it happened Pat said ‘Well, just some bored kids and you had the perfect grenades!’ I was astonished that we hadn’t heard a thing and that the dogs didn’t bark- this was last Saturday. The scene...gruesome! Tomatoes, nice and ripe, thrown all over the back gardening area, and some even by the back door...everywhere :(. They grabbed green ones, and even got my ripe beefsteak in the greenhouse. The smaller plum tree that is loaded this year was attacked as well. Luckily, they didn’t get to the watermelon! I was too distraught to take any shots.

Then on Sunday, they struck again!

 

These are only a few of the ‘New Girl’ tomatoes they threw at our door. The door was covered with seeds. They were probably having a contest of who would hit the door first. It is at least 40 feet from in front of my greenhouse to our back door- someone had quite an arm and had to throw it just right to go under a big cherry tree too.

However, they weren’t too smart. Doing this on a weekend is not a good idea as most people are not at work on weekends, right? And with it being as hot as it’s been people have stayed in.

One minute we’re sitting in our living room and THUMP! THUMP! I thought it was one of the kids, at first, then we both realized what it was. The next minute Pat was out the door! You could hear Pat yelling at them down the street, I’m sure. You should have seen their faces as they realized they were busted...and some really mad man with Clint Eastwood veins sticking out around his temples was coming at them. I’ve never seen kids run so fast! They took off to their yards...that’s right both of the kids live right behind us. Pat came back in and took a little ride around the corner and knocked on their door- one of them answered the door shocked, Pat said the look on his face was priceless and he didn’t think they’d be back around. I guess when his mother became aware that they were throwing our vegetables at our house she wasn’t happy. He also said, however, that he didn’t go into explaining to her how hard we work for those vegetables and having them ruined like that was just wrong- he felt she just wouldn’t ‘get’ it and he’d be wasting his breath. The kids were young enough, and scared of Pat enough that we really don’t think it will happen again- I sure hope not. We’re both home every day, so they’ll get caught again if they do it again.

Our Defender of the Vegetables!

 

Unfortunately, there are not too many tomatoes left...sad. This is one reason I think it is so important to garden with kids. Let them start things from seed and care for them and plant them- the process along teaches a basic respect for life and possibly, just possibly a love for gardening.

The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies!

 

   

Happy gardening to you,

Tessa

19 comments:

  • mothernaturesgarden

    Sorry about your tomatoes. If they were smart, they would have eaten them. We don't have to deal with pests of the human kind, but it seems it is an endless struggle with one thing or another. My solution is plant more than needed and maybe a motion activated sprinkler.
    Donna

  • Daphne

    That is so sad. To have worked so hard to get your produce and to see it destroyed like that must have been devastating. Thank goodness you caught them. I doubt they will do it again.

  • Robin's Nesting Place

    What a shame! Hmmm, since you know who it is I think I would have them come over and work with the "Defender of the Vegetables" to do a little cleaning up.

    Our house has been egged twice, it is very frustrating. We filed a police report both times.

  • Stacey

    That is so awful! I'm so sorry for you and your tomatoes and hope that you still have enough to enjoy this summer. I have to say that I'm shocked to hear that kids would do that! Good job tracking them down and informing their parents! Maybe you should bring a couple (just a couple) over later for them to taste and explain to them how delicious they are and how long it took to grow them. Just an idea, though.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Donna- I think they did eat some, or take them home. There were some really big 'beefsteak' in the greenhouse and in a pot. They were just about ready for picking. We didn't see those one the ground!

    Daphne- Yeah, we were pretty sad about it, and more than a little annoyed!

    Robin- So glad you stopped by :). Yes! DH said if they come back, they'll be put to work!

    Stacey- I think that is a great idea! I've always been very clear with my neighbors that they are welcome to what I grow. I have raspberries and plums that are growing right along their fence, perfect for sharing because they can just come pick when they want them :). I like the message of love that taking some over would say, even if it is only a tiny seed being sown for now :)

  • Catherine@AGardenerinProgress

    I would be so mad! It's sad that so many kids don't respect other people's property and would do something like that. I hope they were scared enough, I know my husband would've done the same thing.

  • Grace Peterson

    Hi Tessa~~ Kids will be kids but wow, this was a pretty audacious act. Your attitude amazes me. I'd be fuming mad. LOL.

  • Aerie-el

    Oh that is just awful. It makes me sad they did it the first time and then made a repeat performance. On the other hand, if they hadn't, well, they wouldn't have met 'Clint Eastwood II, defender of vegetables'! Bet he made an impression they won't soon forget.

  • Toni

    How very very sad! I'm so sorry!

  • Tatyana@MySecretGarden

    Oh, Tessa, I am so sorry! I hope it never ever happens again! And you are so right about kids and gardening. I remember, while living in the Midwest, I asked our young neighbor who was looking at my cucumbers "Do you know what is this?" I'll never forget his answer:"Pickles".

  • Rosey Pollen

    I would be boiling mad. What a huge dissapointment for you.
    Rosey

  • allotments4you.com

    I'm glad you managed to catch the vandals...it really yanks my chain when you get kids that haven't been brought up to appreciate and respect not just other peoples property but wildlife in general...It can be a very sad world that we live in. I have always involved my kids in my gardening and general wildlife as well teaching them that even the weeds and ugly bugs have a place in the world and a job to do...I don't think enough kids are taught this today!!!

  • Iowa Gardening Woman

    The stinkers, I hope he scared them enough that they don't do it to you again or anyone else! What an awful thing to happen after all that work!

  • Ellie Mae's Cottage

    I can't believe they did this! How awful! I wait all year for my garden tomatoes and if anyone did this I'd be on a war path. So glad you caught them. Amazing how they haven't been taught respect. -Jackie

  • Kathleen

    It sounds like your husband has taken care of the problem but sad that you lost most of your tomatoes and that they would even think to vandalize you in the first place. I would still be steaming every time I saw those boys ~ it takes me a long time to get over stuff like that. They have no idea the time and energy you put into growing them.

  • Stefaneener

    That stinks. Glad you found out who they were and yes, it would be great if you could win them over to the side of right and ripe tomatoes, but sometimes there's a lot to work against. I do think that befriending vandals with boundaries is the smartest/safest thing to do. . . they're going to get older and more predatory, so it's good to be on the "leave alone" list. And maybe, just maybe, you could turn a life around.

    Sigh.

  • Peggy

    Hi Tessa, you visited my blog and were kind enough to leave a comment.I was mad just reading about the fate of your tomatoes, they take so much work and to have this happen just when ready is so sad,and to think they had the nerve to go in to the greenhouse too.

  • geekgardener

    Tessa,

    I was totally shocked to hear that.I am so sorry. I feel pests are far better than people who do things like this. I really appreciate the way it was handled. It needs lots of patience. I would have blasted at those kids for sure. These things gives us an insecure feeling.

  • Amy

    Hopefully that scared them straight, but what a loss :( I'm so sorry!

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here