This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Sep 7, 2009

Great Find! Great Resource!

 

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am a bookworm when it comes to gardening books . I’ll go to great lengths to search and hopefully find books, including ones out of print. There are a few places online that have helped when searching for out of print books for home schooling, when the kids were young. One of which is Project Gutenberg the very first and largest, single collection of eBooks.  Today, when I was searching for a book I’ve read about in other books, PG was the first place I looked when I discovered it was out of print. When I didn’t find it there, I went on a hunt. Within 5 minutes, I found it and found a goldmine too!

For those of you that love to read older, out of print, garden books and papers that many current authors (such as Coleman) refer to- this site is for you! The Soil and Health Library has great books in eBook form for free (more about the free part later)! And to top it off (and this really blew me away,) it’s run by Steve Solomon previous owner of Territorial Seeds and author of one of my favorite gardening books Growing Vegetable West of the Cascades ; he now resides in Tasmania, Australia.  Of  course, I’m assuming this is the same Steve Solomon- it might not be! If I hadn’t read all his books I wouldn’t have known that he lives there now, and I wouldn’t have made the possible connection- you can bet I’ll be sure to find out if it’s him (more on that later).

Just so you know, I was after a book called Weeds: Guardians of the Soil by Joseph Cocannouer that is listed in the bibliography section in Gaia’s Garden A guide to Home-Scale Permaculture 2nd edition. This is the second or third time I’ve read about this book about weeds and a search at my library came up empty. I’ve been after a good weed book that not only identifies weeds, but more importantly, reveals how to use them to judge the condition of soil- might come in handy for someone starting a new garden food forest, in a new location/climate :).

Now, if  you go to the home page of Soil and Health Library, you’ll read all about how it works- but there is one thing I want to encourage here that I feel is important. You can get the books listed in their library for free. You have a choice, however, to donate a small amount that helps pay for this unique resource-and it’s a lifetime, one time fee. The choice is yours, of course, but consider what you’d be getting for such a small price :) not to mention the satisfaction of contributing in a small way. And with a librarian like Steve Solomon you really can’t go wrong- but wait there’s more! (me sounding like a infomercial) You can have an opportunity to chat with Steve himself on the subjects in the books! What more could you ask for?

I hope you enjoy this great find!

Happy Gardening,

Tessa

4 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here