This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Dec 11, 2010

Busy time of year

 

With all the baking (not me, of course, I just sample!), wrapping, shipping, writing, etc. there is hardly a moment to breathe!

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and with it our wonderful snow that we had. It was truly beautiful, and I’m sure more will come (or I hope more will come). On Thanksgiving I managed to get outside in the glorious snow and get the raspberries and blueberries mulched. I planted 3 raspberry this year- 2 survived, ‘Heritage’. The one we lost was a yellow variety ‘Fall Gold’. That is too bad because I’ve never had yellow raspberries. We’ll replant next year.

With ‘Heritage’ you have a choice of 1 big harvest/year or 2 medium sized harvests- I opted for the big harvest because of the climate we live in. ‘Heritage’, by the way, is a good variety for colder climates, so we’ll see how they do. For one big harvest, you cut the canes to about ground level when the foliage has been damaged by frost- then mulch heavily. As cold as it was this was about all I could get done on Thanksgiving- outside, I mean!

 

Somewhere under the straw are raspberries ‘Heritage’

 

I had no idea what to do with the blueberries- so I guessed. I didn’t prune out anything. I only added straw- we’ll see how well they survive.

 

Looks like a big mess, but under the straw is a blueberry shrub

While out there I couldn’t resist playing a little…hopefully you can make out what it is!

 

 

With Christmas right around the corner, I thought it was appropriate!

 

Have a blessed holiday season, everyone!

 

Tessa

7 comments:

  • Corner Gardener Sue

    Hi Tessa,
    I'm very behind in my blog reading. When did you move? It sounds like quite an adjustment you are needing to make. I hope your berry bushes come back.

    I love your snow creche! I hope your holiday season is blessed, too.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hey Sue,

    I'm behind in my blog reading to- I'm just recently getting back into blogging after a year long break! Yes, we moved last year to Redmond, OR from Portland, OR- quite a change in climate! Lots of work to be done, but we're getting there- at least we have the greenhouse up!

  • Rebecca Nickols

    This summer was my 3rd year for my Heritage Raspberries..Not much fruit for the first 2 years, but this year I had gallons!! I cut my canes back as you do also. I had the biggest crop early on, but continued to have some fruit for several weeks. Love the snow manger!

  • CanadianGardenJoy

    Tessa girl that was great seeing how you cared for your fruit bushes .. well done ! I'm sure they will be healthy and bountiful next season .. and I think you are right in claiming ONE BIG harvest !
    I wasn't sure at my first guess to your snow art .. thought it was a bird's nest .. then realized there were snow people there .. and so on .. an oops! moment ? for me ? LOL
    Joy : )

  • Catherine@AGardenerinProgress

    I wish I had room for raspberries. My parents had them in our yard growing up and we used to love going out and eating them fresh.
    I wonder if you're getting all of this crazy rain where you are?
    This time of year it's really hard to do anything other than get ready for the holidays.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Thanks for stopping by, Rebecca. I've been looking at your blog and just love that I've found someone that has chickens! We'll be getting some in the future- so be prepared for some questions. I'm surprised that your raspberries didn't produce for 2 years- we just planted ours this year and had quite a few!

    Hey Joy! So glad you stopped by- yeah the nativity scene was a little hard to make out in the photo- it was sure fun to make though!

    Catherine, so glad to hear from you! We had raspberries at our home in Portland, so they were a must- we plan to plant a few more- that and a lot of other small fruit. I've found some really interesting fruit plants to try. I wonder if you could grow a raspberry in a half barrel? I know you can with blueberries. It might be a good experiment!

    Happy gardening to you all :)

  • Kate

    I have faith that -- some season, way soon -- there will be enough raspberries to avoid the annual turf war 'tween me and the birds. :)) Happy Holidays, Tessa.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here