This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Jan 31, 2011

With a little work…

 

We have manure.

I helped a friend clean stalls and an arena. We were paid with a truck load plus a utility trailer heaping full of very nice composted manure (or gold as some, myself included, would call it!).

As of today our temps are dropping, so it will be a while before I can wheel barrel it back to my crop beds. I recently put a different load of manure back there and it wasn’t as nice as this stuff. I plan on moving that to my flower beds and using the nice stuff on my crop beds (or a portion of it- there is so much). The other stuff was okay, but it had tiny rocks it in from the arena and the new stuff has none. The rocks are small enough that they just add air pockets, but I think my flower beds would be a better place for them.

My experiment in the greenhouse is so far coming along fine- the radishes have been up for a while and I think I saw a few lettuce and spinach popping up. Now that the temps have dropped, which I expected, I need to figure out a easy way to add the double protective layer- a chenille is not going to work because this bed is under one of the greenhouse benches. What ever I decide to do I’d better do it fast because of the low temps!

I also have some pansy up- although I will say I think I forgot where I was and started them too early. I remember having problems with bluish leaves one year in Jan. because of the cold- and that was in Portland! So, I plan to start some more mid-Feb.

And the last update- I decided to try winter sowing this year. On the 25th I started some Hellebore and some clematis seeds I gathered from my mom’s garden last year. We’ll see what happens. The Hellebore seeds are older and the clematis seeds were not stored right so I’m not sure they’ll germinate. I probably should have used fresh seeds for my first attempt- and I do plan on sowing some fresher seeds in Feb.

Hope all is well with you and as usual-

Happy Gardening,

 

Tessa

11 comments:

  • Hocking Hills Gardener

    Your garden plants are going to love that. Makes for some great veggies this summer.

  • Catherine@AGardenerinProgress

    That manure is almost better than real gold. I hope the winter sowing works for you. If you ever want more Hellebore seeds just let me know. They reseed quite a bit in my garden and I've just started finding lots of babies under the leaves that I cut back.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Lona, thanks for stopping by. Yep, the veggies are gonna love it...now if I can just get it spread :)

    Catherine, I just got through sowing some more 'winter sown' seeds- fresher seed this time. We'll see how it all turns out! I'd love some Hellebore seed- I'll send you my address!

  • Daphne

    I've got to try some wintersowing this year too. I'm not sure I have room under the lights for all the plants I want to start.

  • ~Holly~

    Nice variety of sowing! I can't wait to see what they look like all grown up!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Daphne, that is exactly why I wanted to get started with winter sown. When I really start growing a lot of seeds, I know I'll run out of room. That and I'm not sure how my seed shelf is going to do in the cold garage- I lost an area to set it up inside when we moved!

    Holly, thanks so much for stopping by! I popped over to your blog- looks like you're from OR. Nice onion babies!

  • Patsi

    Yeah!!! You started seeds...and now it begins again.
    Gotta love gardening !

  • CanadianGardenJoy

    Tessa girl my god you are patient to try seeded hellebore ! all of your work is going to pay off big time though .. and the "gold" you have gathered really is GOLD ! I wish my area was larger and I could do the compost thing.
    meanwhile I use "sheep gold" .. I asked one year what was the difference between sheep and cow manure and was told sheep chews better and it breaks down the "gold" better and it did wonders for my roses .. so I will be getting that again .. another trick if you have roses, and this works because I did it last year .. is the epsom salts thing .. a half cup starting in May to October .. scratched around the base of the rose plant and WOW !! beautiful healthy plants that bloomed like crazy : ) you gotta' love that !LOL
    Joy
    PS .. I love how you have everything planned out in your garden from the header picture !

  • Rosey

    Every time I see a pile of manure, I think my heart races. You will never regret healthy condiments like that for your garden!

    I hope your plant seedlings are growing happily now! My kids always say it looks like I am making little pans of brownies in the basement when I get the little seed growing task started.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Patsi,

    You know it- I think I'm addicted! Thanks so much for popping in :)

    Joy, so glad you stopped by- hope you found some nice ideas to fill in your spring bed. I know, Hellebore...really? I figure since they reseed themselves usually, they'd do okay. Catherine is gonna send me some fresh seeds this year! Yes, I used the salts on my roses one year in Portland- amazing results. Glad you like it- we have so much work to do, but it's coming along slow but sure. I plan to do a 'new garden' intro post soon so stay tuned. I tweaked my header so the images rotate on page refresh! I try to update regularly.

    Rosey, so nice to see you! I hope they'll germinate- they aren't showing their little heads yet, but I'm hopeful! Yep, I thought of brownies too when I was sowing them :)

  • THE OLD GEEZER

    Greetings from Southern California, USA

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to :-)

    God Bless You, ~Ron

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here