This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Feb 23, 2011

Winter Sown Success!

 

Yesterday, I decided I’d better check on my first winter sown project. With all the snow we’ve had, and it was a heavy snow, I was a little concerned that they might need a little air. I was so surprised when I lifted the lids to find that they had maybe just a little too much water, but not much. And an even bigger surprise was the Dianthus I sowed on 2/4 had germinated! The seed pack says 10-14 days for germination and I thought for sure that it would be later with the sun, cold, freezing, thawing, etc. that these containers have gone through with the recent snow and all!

Hopefully, you can see the little sprout- right in the center. There are more scattered across the soil, here and there. I’m just so surprised to see that it worked! All I had to do was make the containers, plant, and cover- that’s it? Really? For those of you who regularly read my blog, you know what an elaborate light set up I have…well, it’s not that elaborate really, but in comparison to the simplicity of winter sowing it is so much more work!

I’m not totally sold yet, however, there is the issue of thinning- or more accurately, the lack of thinning, and transplanting in ‘clumps’ that is to come…we’ll see how it goes! But for now I’m liking it and it really does leave a lot of room for starting more seeds than I have room for in either my light set up or the greenhouse and cold frames…and with very little effort on my part, which is always a good thing! I also need to go and do some reading on the winter sown site to see what to do next…

I hope your winter sowing projects are coming along nicely too,

Happy almost spring!

Tessa

1 comments:

  • Alison

    WooHoo! Congrats! Dianthus is one of the easiest, I WS them just about every year. I can always use a nice clump of them somewhere. They probably won't flower till next year, but most of the perennial ones are very hardy. I plant them out as soon as they have true leaves.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here