This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Mar 28, 2011

First it Snowed, then we sowed

 

I know, I can hear you- very corny…but accurate!

Yesterday it was cold and it snowy pretty good in the am, but it didn’t stick. It stopped and we had a break in the weather ,so Patrick reseeded the small patch of lawn we put in last year (more on that in another post)- I know, right? Lawn? You know my thoughts on it- but it’s only a little patch (now), and it will look nice off the deck- giving us a different ‘room’ so to speak. He added some sifted compost in the bald spots along with the seed and then a light spray with VF-11.

I’ll do some more updates on this when I introduce our new yard.

I did some sowing too- in one of the tunnels and greenhouse; just a few rows of Radishes and Tatsoi in the tunnel. And after harvesting a few things in the greenhouse I started some radishes in there too- time to get another ground bed build in the greenhouse I think.

The berries we purchased a while back are growing well-

 

Can’t wait to get these planted…

And an update on the Beets and Spinach transplanted the other day. The temps inside the greenhouse (single layer) dropped to 24.8 degrees. So I’m assuming it was a little warmer under the twice tempered tunnel- I hope! A couple of beets don’t look happy, but everything else seems okay- I put the temperature gauge in there today so I’ll be able to record the lows.

Today’s weather was unsettled- like spring is usually. Snow, sleet, rain, sun, clouds, sun- yep. that’s spring.

 

At lastly, all the seeds started in the 200 cell plug flat are potted up and look nice and healthy!

In this group-

Lettuce- organic ‘Marvel of Four Seasons’, organic ‘Speckles’, ‘Focea’, ‘Salad Bowl Blend’, organic ‘Red Orach’ (only 2 germinated!), and chives.

 

I hope you spring is going well.

Happy gardening,

Tessa

6 comments:

  • Catherine@AGardenerinProgress

    I didn't realize you could still get snow now, glad it didn't last. Our weather has been cold windy and some light rain.
    I love how your yard is looking and can't wait to see how it all looks as it fills in this spring.

  • Aerie-el

    No, not BERRY corny at all...but lettuce move on. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.) Looks like you've got a fantastic start to the growing season. I just popped a few spinach, kale, and chard seeds into the veggie bed.
    Happy spring planting to you!

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Catherine- yeah, it can snow pretty late in the year, and we can have frost any time of year! Thanks- I'm looking forward to when things green up a big, as much as they can with pretty much nothing in the beds- then I plan to do a yard intro :)

    Aerie-el, funny...and corny! Glad you joined in. We're getting there-slow but sure. I bet you're glad to be home from back east? Happy planting to you- hope things grow well.

    Thanks for stopping by!

  • Patsi

    Your seedlings look so tidy. I have to thin out the basil I started,always put more seeds then needed in one cell due to past failures.

    Nice lawn area.
    Hubby sifts compost in the bald spots also. What is VF-11?

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hello Patsi, Yeah the 6 packs do that- make them look neat and tidy, that is ;). We're hoping the lawn area will fill in nicely and someday put a small stream behind it (flowers behind that) that will connect an existing pond and another we'd like to build- I'm not sure about that stream as the area collects pine needles right now, very naturally!

    VF-11 is a plant food. I tried it a couple years ago and was amazed how well it worked! I stopped using it my crops, however, when I couldn't find out what was in it- the site is vague. I found a forum where there was a big discussion about the product, with various guesses as to the ingredients- growth hormones was one, because of how well it worked. Hope this helps and thanks for stopping by!

  • Daphne

    I hope to follow suit. We got a nice snowstorm last night - a few inches. I really want to plant my peas tomorrow. I've started soaking them already.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here