This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Mar 1, 2011

Life and Death…

 

Or maybe accidental homicide…

 

While looking out the sun room window today, Patrick spotted…life! Just as I had planned :).

Last year Patrick, my husband, did a lot of traveling- we hardly saw him, which was hard as it was our first year in our new home in a new location. As a surprise, I worked on our first bed making it a spring flowering, bulb bed, all in the hopes that he’d be home the following spring to see it out the window as he worked…Then today he was looking at some birds out the window and I hear “Oh, look! Grab your camera there are bulbs coming up!” He couldn’t believe they were there under all that snow we had, happily growing. It was a little overcast, but that wasn’t going to last long looking at the puffy clouds, so he insisted that I wait a few minutes to take some shots.

um…can’t remember ;)

Um…can’t remember what these are either ;)


A little snow is left and we’ll probably get more, but there are other signs of life…

Lilac buds


As happy as I am about the growth, I’m puzzled and a little concerned. I planned that bulb bed for spring flowering blooms- staggered from early spring (crocus), mid spring, and late spring. I’ll also add some perennials that bloom in spring so that the bed, as the bulbs finish blooming, won’t look all dead. I’ve been looking at my sketch and what I put in there and it seems that mid-spring bloomers have a lot of growth- this concerns me because we are probably not done with the cold weather…will we got some lows that will hurt the growth?  Time will tell. Is it possible that the snow fooled them and was a little too insulating! As you can see in the pics, I put on a thick layer of straw mulch and was expecting I’d have to move it aside. I might consider adding some loose straw if our temps don’t continue to go up.

Now on to the sadness…I really didn’t mean it, really. The pansies that I left in the greenhouse when the temps were in the teens died. Not all of them, but more than half! I’ll not consider it murder, but accidental homicide…guilty…again.

I don’t mean to disenchant anyone, but I don’t have a green thumb, as some have said- the credit of the miracle of seed to something glorious, strong, nutritious , and beautiful will never belong to me. I continue to be in awe of the one responsible for life, the beauty and creativity that goes into it amazes me every time I enter the garden…for when I do, I leave much better off than when I started down the path…for this I’m grateful to my Lord.

Time to start some more plants and be amazed all over again!

Happy almost spring,

 

Tessa

4 comments:

  • Thru a Tori-lens

    oh my dear Tessa- it's a common blunder here in Central Oregon. If you didn't kill something I would have assumed you are super-human or supernatural or both. The pansies will forgive you. And you definitely DO have a green thumb- or maybe a green heart? Thank our Creator for that one!

  • Stephanie

    Tessa, yes life! Love those shoots... I would have quickly run for the camera ha ha... What a pleasing sight to behold :-D Hope to see blooms later...

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hey Tori,

    I'm sure it is in this climate! I'm just hoping I'll get the hang of things soon- to keep the death toll down :). Hope you're feeling better after that flu!

    Hello Stephanie,

    I'll be sure to post some great shots when it is all in bloom- and when I plant some perennials. Thanks for stopping by!

  • Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets where I put my bulbs. I enjoy your blog. My husband got me a greenhouse for Christmas. I have high hopes to get it up by Memorial day. I got some great ideas from you for what I'm going to do with it.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here