This week's 'dig'
Kate at High Altitude Gardening reports a neat thing happening in SLC, UT


You know you're a gardener when...
Photobucket
Blunders with Shoots, Blossoms 'n Roots
Where things either live or die!

Mar 8, 2011

Things are growing!

 

Last week I actually had time to sow a couple things- it always surprises me how fast they come up!

The beets I sowed on 3/4 came up on 3/6.

Broccoli and spinach sown on the 2nd and 3rd, up on 3/6-

 

The 3rd sowing of pansy- s l o w l y coming up (the second I sowed using the winter sown method and have not come up yet…as far as I know).

 

I also decided to try chitting potatoes- The only other time I’ve grown them was by accident (read all about it), but I wanted to see how it all worked and if the plants would really be stronger this way. That and I’ve discovered that I LOVE fingerlings, red or yellow, and I’ve also discovered another one called German Butterball- I can get them local and they are grown organically- so I just buy a couple extra and use them for planting.

Things in the greenhouse bed continue to grow and I’ve started some more Mache in there-

I’m hoping to get the outdoor tunnel finished so I can sow more Mache and other direct sow crops as well as the crops I have in the nursery. I did manage to get the rebar in the ground and test out the pvc. I’ll have to remove the pvc to get the soil amendments tilled in, but that’s no problem. This tunnel will cover two 30” wide beds. I plan on weaving the plastic over and under the pvc so I can just slide it up when I need to vent, or work in the beds- we’ll see how it all goes. I wanted them to work similar to the Chenilles (read about them here) I build for smaller tunnels over a single bed, but they had to be sturdier. All I know is here in Central Oregon you need to have a way to protect crops quickly in case a frost hits- this will give me an easy way to do that.

It is so nice that I can actually work outside early in the year here. The day was breezy, but nice as the sun came in and out. I have what I need to amend the soil- greensand, rock phos, some shell meal, peat, and composted manure- now just to get it worked in and let it sit for a couple weeks. And while that’s going on I’ll start another tunnel.

 

I hope your weather is cooperating as well, and as usual,

Happy gardening,

 

Tessa

7 comments:

  • Jenni

    Hi Tessa,
    I'm really intrigued with your soil amending! And I like the idea of your smartly thought out plastic tunnel. I have never tried the types of potatoes you mentioned but I think I should! Great post! Cheers, Jenni

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hey Jenni, thanks for stopping by. I'll be sure to do some posts on all the soil amending and as always if you have any specific questions you can email me- just hit the blue envelope at top :)

  • Catherine@AGardenerinProgress

    Looks great Tessa. Maybe I should try the same thing with my potatoes, I just bought some Yukon Gold seed potatoes.
    I need help with my Kale. Have you grown it? It's the only thing that keeps withering away after it's germinated.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Thanks Catherine. The potato experiment should be interesting, we'll see how it all works out. I haven't grown Kale, yet, I did buy some seeds this year. I'm going to start them in late summer since they are cold weather crops and get sweeter with freezing temps. With my short season, I figured that was the safest thing to do for Kale. I do know they prefer cool soil- so are you using bottom heat? I'll send you an email :). I know Daphne has grown it.

  • Daphne

    Everything looks beautiful. Sorry about your pansies. I'm going to be putting hoops over some of my beds soon. I have a lot of work to do.

  • DirtDigger (Tessa)

    Hey Daphne,

    Last I saw you had gotten more snow- hope it has melted by now! I was just telling Catherine that you'd probably be able to help her with a kale seedling problem she having. Thanks for stopping by!

  • Aerie-el

    I love the picture of the potato heads :) and all your seedlings. Spring is sprung at your place!
    Looking forward to returning to the PNW, and to spring.

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate leaving your thoughts! My comments are highlighted in light green. I support the No-NoFollow/DoFollow comments movement, so you all will get some well deserved link love! As always, happy gardening to you :)

Tessa

Fight spam not blogs! Read more here